AK CARES Funding Program: The application period for the AK CARES Grant Program opened on June 1, 2020, and the expanded eligibility criteria (as outlined below) will go into effect on August 6, 2020. AIDEA has developed an online application portal that all applications will be submitted through, at which point Credit Union 1 will no longer accept applications through their website. The portal with the new application will be available at akcaresonline.org starting on August 6, 2020.
Commercial fishermen impacted by COVID-19 who held and fished a Limited Entry Permit or Interim Use Permit issued by the Commercial Fisheries Entry Commissioner (CFEC) and meet the following criteria:
- Fishermen who held a Limited Entry Permit or Interim Use Permit in 2019 and 2020, including an embossed gear card, and participated in an open fishery that produced income in 2019.
- Exception: Card Holders who purchased a Limited Entry Permit for the first time in 2020 must have been a crew member in 2019 that actively participated in an open fishery in Alaska to be eligible.
- Exception: Card holders who emergency transferred their permit in 2019, and are actively fishing in 2020 are eligible.
- Exception: The temporary permit holder who held Limited Entry Permit(s) by emergency transfer are eligible.
- Fishermen who engage primarily in Alaskan fisheries.
- Fishermen whose primary business is commercial fishing.
- Fishermen with, on average, 50 or fewer full-time equivalent employees.
- Fishermen that received a total of $5,000 or less from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) or the SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDL).